Friday, August 21, 2009

Day 13-Freidei, Augusta 20...Battered, bruised and not going anywhere

My headache was unbelievably painful this morning...who am I kidding? My head hurt all day long! Never in my life have I felt this sore and beat up. I woke up before Antonia, she looked a whole lot worse off than I imagined I looked. I wondered where Olin found her, and after sleeping on it I kind of wanted to know how Olin was able to run off or kill those raiders that ambushed us. I could ask him, but I'm not sure he would tell me. He has never been much of a story teller or one for any conversation for that matter. Olin came in and checked on Antonia and I this morning and bluntly told us that we would be staying here until Antonia was able to travel again. He guessed two nights ought to be enough but only time would tell. I almost brought myself to ask him about the ambush, but I didn't. He seemed distracted by something other than the scrap from last night. I laid my head back down on the pillow and must have slipped off to sleep, because when I woke, Antonia was propped up in her bed eating some soup or something liquid like. She glanced over at me and shot me a smile through her scratched up face and her fat lip. It was a welcome sight to see her alert and somewhat smiling. I can't believe the relief I felt when I saw her laying next to me last night, and now she is alert and eating and I feel even better. I don't know what I would do if I lost my friend in such a senseless manner. Antonia finished eating and drifted off to sleep again. I guess it is exactly what she needs right now.

I spent the rest of the day thinking about my nightmare, and what is causing it to happen or what it all means? It is slowly starting to drive me crazy, and on top of that there is this mystery that I have gotten myself mixed up in. I suppose I could just forget all about this mystery and move on with my life as if nothing ever happened. After all, this whole thing has nearly killed my best friend. I'll have to talk it over with Antonia when she is feeling better and get her thoughts on the matter.

Olin came in to check on the two of us one last time before going off to bed himself. Antonia was resting comfortably in her bed. I, on the other hand, didn't feel like sleeping. Olin sat in the chair near my bed and ,shockingly, gave me an abridged version of what happened with the raiders and where he had found Antonia. He said that he saw me take down my first opponent after I crushed his jaw, and he was too late getting to my side when the second assailant clubbed me in the base of my skull. The hit sent me flying forward and I appeared to be unconscious before I fell to the ground. He struck, the guy who clubbed me, with his sword and he toppled to the ground dead. Three others chased after the horses that were, at this point, dragging Antonia off into the trees. He pursued the trio and caught them off guard while they were attempting to calm the horses down. He said they didn't offer up too much of a fight and he killed the three of them quickly. He was able to calm and untangle the horses, then he found Antonia just a few feet away. He feared the worst when he saw her, but when he approached her to pick her up she was breathing. She was out cold but alive. He placed her on the back of a horse and came back for me. He loaded me up on the other horse and brought the two of us into Vensk. I do believe this was the most I've ever heard Olin talk. I asked him if anything else was bothering him as he left our room. He said he wasn't able to find our contact to get word back to Distress, and no one seems to have seen our contact in a day or two...could he possibly be, yet, another victim to this strange mystery. Why does everything always seem to come back to these disappearances? Perhaps it is just a coincidence? We'll see tomorrow I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment